Civil Division at the M.C.S.O.
The Civil Division is under Brittany Brown, the Civil Process Supervisor.
Civil Process Supervisor
Civil - Useful Links
Query the Status of Civil Process Papers
Fees for Civil Process Service
- Policy about returns of service: Effective April 9, 2007 the Civil Division of the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office will no longer mail out returns of service without a self address stamped envelope for your return.
- Fees for service of process are fixed by Florida Statute 30.231 as of July 1, 2009 and are nonrefundable.
- As of July 25, 2007 the Sheriff's Office will only accept the following forms of payment for statutory civil process fees and levy deposits:
- Money Order
- Cashier's Check
- Attorney's Check
- Personal Check
- Money Orders and checks should be made payable to "MCSO-Civil Division"
- Special Process Server: The fees for being a Special Process Server are currently $100 to apply and $100 for annual renewal. Applications will only be accepted from August 1st until October 31st of each year. Contact Brittany Brown in the Civil Division at 305-809-3041 for more information or click here for an application.
- Documents not properly issued, or those with incorrect fees or incorrect payee will be returned.
|Type of Service||Cost of Service|
|All Summonses and Subpoenas: Certified or original court-sealed copy and copy with attachments for each party to be served. F. S. 30.231(3).||$40.00 for each party to be served.|
|Out-of State Non-enforceable Process: Monroe County Sheriff’s Office will serve the process per Florida Statutes unless an explicit letter of instructions or copy of other state’s return of service accompanies each document.||$55.00 for each party to be served. For a notorized affidavit, a seperate check must be provided for an additional fee of $15.00.|
|Writ of Garnishment.||$40.00 service fee|
|Writ of Replevin: Description of property being seized, serial numbers/identifying numbers, address where property is located, copy of court order for issuance of Writ and copy of bond posted with court. Certified copy of Summons and copy for service.||$40.00 for Summons and $90.00 for service of executing Writ.|
|Writ of Possession: Landlord/tenant or foreclosure, name and telephone number of landlord or authorized agent are required. Landlord or Agent must arrange for locksmith and be present when eviction is finalized.||$90.00 for executing Writ.|
|Distress Writ: Service only||$40.00 for each party served.|
|Writ of Attachment (Body): Court sealed copy and copy for service and description sheet with date of birth.||$90.00 for executing Writ. Judge will assess incarceration fee at Court hearing.|
|Writ of Attachment (Property): Provide copy of bond posted with court, copy of court order for issuance or writ and levy instructions listing property being attached.||Call for fees and cost deposit|
|Writ of Attachment (Real Estate): Must be accompanied by levy instructions with legal description and street address.||$90.00 for execution Writ plus recording fees.|
|Type of Levy||Levy Deposit|
|Real Estate: Levy instructions must include legal description and street address||Call for cost deposit.*|
|Vehicles: Must provide description of vehicle, tag and VIN numbers and address where vehicle can be found.||$3,000.00 cost deposit|
|Assets of business: Must provide specific inventory of business assets.||Call for cost deposit* (It varies depending on size and type of merchandise.)|
|Personal Assets: Provide specific inventory. May require a break order.||Call for cost deposit.*|
|Jewelry or Stock Certificates: Defendant must voluntarily turn over inventory.||Call for cost deposit*|
|Boats: Must provide location of boat, size, name of boat, Florida decal numbers or documentation number. Also advise whether boat is in or out of water.||Call for cost deposit*|
*Deposit amount depends on the specifics of each case.