About the Traffic Enforcement Unit
***Be advised that School Zone Fines are DOUBLED***
Please contact Sergeant Greg Korzen, Supervisor of the Traffic Enforcement Unit at 305-289-2410 if you have any traffic concerns or wish to report any areas that require additional Traffic Enforcement attention. If you have a traffic concern in the City of Key West please contact the Key West Police Department at
305-809-1000. Remember, speed kills! Slow down and drive safely, don’t you become a highway statistic.
About the Traffic Enforcement Unit
Click here for more photos of the Traffic Enforcement Unit
For telephone traffic reports, dial FDOT's 511 Traffic Center.
Call 511 toll free from any phone, then dial 14# for reports on U.S. One in
The Traffic Enforcement Unit enforces the traffic laws of the state of Florida and all traffic related Monroe County ordinances. The efforts of this unit ensure people traveling on the roadways of Monroe County stay as safe as possible.
The main highway, U.S. Highway One, stretches the entire length of Monroe County which makes the duties of the Traffic Enforcement Unit particularly crucial. Traffic accidents and other traffic issues can severely impact the flow of traffic in the Florida Keys and it is the duty of the unit to see such
interruptions happen as infrequently as possible.
All eight deputies in the Traffic Unit, under the direction of Sergeant Kevin Mimosa, are trained breath-test operators, radar and laser certified. The unit supports one drug recognition expert and maintains five Intoxilyzer 8000 instruments and inspectors as well as two specifically trained DUI units.
Some of the ancillary duties of the Traffic Enforcement Unit include:
- High profile escorts
- Dignitary escorts
- Honor Guard details
- Funeral details
- Poker runs
- Soldier Run
- Highway interdictions
- Sobriety checkpoints
If you have a traffic
complaint in your neighborhood or a question regarding Florida Traffic Statutes
or the Enforcement of Florida’s Traffic Laws in Monroe County please call the
Monroe County Sheriff’s
Traffic Enforcement Unit at (305) 289-2430 or send e-mail to Traffic
Enforcement Sgt. Greg Korzen.
- All Deputies assigned to the Traffic Unit are certified in Radar and Laser operation.
- All are certified by FDLE as Intoxilizer 8000 Operators.
- Three are currently certified by FDLE as Intoxilizer 8000 Agency Inspector Technicians.
- All Deputies are certified Operators of the Intoxilizer 400 PBT (Personal Breath Test Devices) used in Under-aged Alcohol Enforcement of the Florida .02 BAC Rule.
- All Deputies are consistently sent to Institute for Police Technology and Management (IPTM) for current updated DUI Enforcement training.
- Two DUI Deputies are certified as DREs (Drug Recognition Expert).
- All are certified Traffic Homicide Investigators.
- The four Motorcycle Deputies are certified by IPTM as Police Motorcycle Operators.
The Traffic Enforcement Unit currently maintains the following equipment:
- Nine Traffic Patrol Vehicles equipped with Stalker Dual 2X radar units
- Three of the nine vehicles are 2008 Unmarked Dodge Chargers for Aggressive Driving
- Nine of the Patrol Units are also equipped with Watch Guard Digital DVD Traffic cameras
- Four 2006 BMW 1200 RT-P Motorcycles equipped with Stalker Dual 2X radar units
- One Motorcycle Transport and Recovery Trailer
- Nine Hand-held Kustom Pro-Lite Laser Units
- Four Intoxilizer 8000 Breath Testing Devices
- Four Intoxilizer 400 Personal Breath Testing Devices
- One SMART Radar Trailer for Community Traffic Complaints and Surveys
- Access to four additional SMART Radar Trailers and four Signboards currently assigned to Sectors
Links and Informative Brochures
- National Highway and Traffic Safety: For more information, including traffic safety tips and injury statistics, visit the National Highway Transportation Administration's web site at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/.
- Play it Safe! - Download a children's Activity Book about Traffic Safety (PDF)
- Safety Belts and Pregnancy - Download a brochure about this important topic (PDF)