Monroe County Sheriff’s Office
Daily Crime and Information Report

Issued by the Media Relations Office,
Public Information Officer Deputy Becky Herrin

Follow us on Twitter @mcsonews and on Facebook at MCSO – Florida Keys. All of our press releases can be found on our blog at

September 29, 2014

Four charged with aggravated stalking

Four Marathon – three men and a teen - were arrested early today, charged with harassing and stalking a Marathon couple.

The two victims told Deputy Deanna Torres they were at Walgreen’s in Marathon at 1:40 a.m.  She said four males in a car began yelling at her and her boyfriend, swearing at them about the New Jersey license tags on her car.

She said when they left Walgreen’s, the males followed them. They were reportedly driving aggressively, pulling alongside of the victims and yelling out the window. She said she was afraid they would follow her home and didn’t know what they would do.

She said she slammed on her brakes and did a U-turn in an effort to lose them. She and her boyfriend then went home to a boat they live on. She said she hid her car so they wouldn’t see it, and went into the boat and called 911 for help. She gave a description of the vehicle the males were traveling in – an older model silver Lexus with blue headlights.

Deputy Torres spotted the vehicle and stopped it in the parking lot of the Publix grocery store. The vehicle and the males inside were identified by the victims as the ones who harassed her and her boyfriend.

Deputy Torres, assisted by Deputies John Shinkunas, Danielle Malone and Anthony Anderson arrested all four males.

20 year old Miguel Herrera, 20 year old Gabriel Herrada and 20 year old Shadow Franco were all charged with aggravated stalking and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. The juvenile with them – a 17 year old Marathon resident – was charged with aggravated stalking.

September 28, 2014

Two men charged with beating, kicking another man

A Big Pine man was airlifted to a Miami hospital with severe injuries and two others were arrested for inflicting them during a fight Friday evening on Big Pine Key.

The victim and one of the suspects – 48 year old Richard Steepy – are neighbors. Steepy and the other suspect, 28 year old Romis Rodriguez, were working on a boat in a canal behind Steepy’s home at 6:30 p.m.

According to a witness who saw the whole incident, the 52 year old victim began to yell at the two men then picked up a handful of small rocks and threw them at Steepy and Rodriguez. As the victim turned and began walking away, STeepy and Rodriguez attacked him. They punched him numerous times, continuing to do so as the victim fell to the ground. The victim became unconscious and the two suspects began to walk away from him. Rodriguez turned around and walked back toward the victim, kicking him with the steel toed shoes he was wearing.

The victim suffered fractures in his face and was airlifted to a Miami hospital due to bleeding on his brain. Rodriguez and Steepy were charged with aggravated assault and were taken to jail.

Man arrested for leaving children in a hot car alone

A Marathon man was arrested Friday after he left two small children in his car as he shopped for groceries.

A woman noticed the small children – aged 2 and 4 – in the car alone in the parking lot of the Marathon Winn Dixie and she called the Sheriff’s Office. When Deputies John Shinkunas and Deanna Torres arrived at 7:20 p.m. they found 36 year old Claude Nix loading groceries in the trunk of the car. The two small children were in the car and appeared to be fine.

Nix told the deputies he did not understand what the problem was. He said he only left them for a short time while he bought groceries. Deputy Torres viewed store video which showed Nix had been in the store for 20 minutes.

The two children were turned over to their mother. Nix was arrested and charged with child neglect.

September 23, 2014

Stock Island man reports being robbed at knife point

A Stock Island man told Sheriff’s deputies he was robbed at knifepoint on Front Street, Stock Island Monday night.

The 29 year old victim lives on board a boat docked near Front Street. He told Deputy Spencer Curry he was in a parking area across from Safe Harbor Marina talking on his phone at 11:15 p.m. He said a man on a bike pulled up to him, shoved him to the ground and pulled a knife, demanding money.

The victim said he emptied his pockets, but had no money. He said the suspect grabbed his  phone from him and left on his bicycle, riding down Front Street toward Fourth Avenue.

Other deputies were in the area and looked for someone fitting the suspect’s description, but were unable to locate him. He is described as a white male wearing a dark colored hat and a black shirt. He was riding a light blue or green bicycle.

Another tailgate stolen

Owners of trucks still need to be alert and make sure they lock or otherwise secure their tailgates.

The tailgate from an 2010 Ford F250 was taken from in front of a home on Third Avenue Gulf in Marathon sometime between Sunday night and Monday morning.

If your tailgate has a lock, use it. Otherwise try to park in an area which makes the tailgate difficult to access such as backed up to a wall or in a locked garage. There are locking devices  that can be added as well.

September 21, 2014

Woman says she was attacked

A Marathon woman, out walking her dog Friday just before 7 p.m. says she was attacked.

The victim said she was walking from her home on Stirrup Key Road toward Aviation Boulevard when she saw someone standing near a stop sign, near woods on Aviation and Stirrup Key Road. She said the person looked at her, then stepped back into the woods as if hiding.

She became nervous and started walking back home, but was confronted by the person who grabbed her arm and pulled her into the bushes. She began screaming for help and the person took off running toward Aviation Boulevard.

The subject, whom she believes was a black male, was wearing a red colored short sleeved shirt with dark pants or possibly long shorts. He was wearing some type of mask or bandana – possibly white – wrapped around his face.

Deputies responded to the area and searched for anyone matching the description. No one was found.

September 18, 2014

Key Largo man dies in accident

A Key Largo man who  reportedly fell into the water while stepping from his dock to his boat died yesterday.

Deputies and paramedics responded to 400 Ocean Drive at 1:10 p.m. They found the victim, 67 year old Michael Filipowich, lying on the dock with two other men trying to help him. He was breathing and vomiting up frothy water. A witness said he fell while stepping from the dock onto his boat, a 34 foot sailboat named Steel Crazy.

Filipowich was transported to Mariner’s Hospital where he was later pronounced dead. An autopsy will be done to determine the cause of his death.

Man arrested for exposing himself to detective

A Stock Island man was arrested Wednesday after he walked up to a plain clothes detective and exposed himself.

Detective Mark Jones was parked at the intersection of 5th Avenue and Cross Street at 11:45 a.m. in an unmarked Sheriff’s Office Crown Victoria. 42 year old Osneil Bello Machin, who lives on 5th Avenue, reportedly walked up to the front of the vehicle, looking at the detective through the windshield.

Machin then said something the detective could not understand, unzipped his pants and pulled out his penis, shaking it at the detective while yelling something to others who were in the vicinity. He then zipped his pants back up and walked away, throwing his hands into the air.

Detective Jones placed Machin under arrest, charging him with exposure of sexual organs. He was booked into jail.

September 16, 2014

Man wanted for questioning in Miami dies after stabbing himself

A man wanted for questioning by Miami Police stabbed himself in the abdomen right after Sheriff’s deputies located him today on Big Coppitt Key.

33 year old Roy Blanco was with a woman believed to be his mother at the time of the incident, just before 3 p.m. She took an unknown number of pills and was taken to Lower Keys Hospital. He was going to be airlifted for his injuries to a Miami hospital but lost consciousness and stopped breathing  just prior to being loaded on to a trauma helicopter. He was rushed to Lower Keys Hospital where he died.

The Sheriff’s Office has notified Miami Police and they are on their way to the Keys.

Stock Island man charged with business burglary

A Stock Island man was arrested Monday, charged with burglarizing a Stock Island business Sunday night.

Video surveillance cameras at A Plus Roofing caught 43 year old Felipe Fonseca in the act of burglarizing the business. The victim, who works there, called to report his cell phone and tools stolen. He said he left them in the vicinity of the loading dock Sunday night after work. When he returned Monday morning, they were gone.

The owner of the business showed Deputy David Lariz the video and Deputy Lariz was able to identify Fonseca as the suspect. Fonseca is depicted in the video between 10 and 10:15 p.m. entering a truck and a storage area before entering the area of the loading dock. He is seen leaving the loading dock carrying several items.

As Deputy Lariz was leaving the business Monday afternoon at 2 p.m., after taking a report of the crime, he spotted Fonseca and recognized him from the video and from previous law enforcement contacts with him. Fonseca was still wearing the same clothing he had on in the video. The deputy confronted Fonseca, who eventually admitted stealing the items in question.

Fonseca was arrested. He was charged with burglary, grand theft, trespassing in a conveyance and he was taken to jail.

September 15, 2014

Detectives investigating parking lot beating

Detective Vince Weiner  from the Sheriff’s Office Major Crimes Unit is looking for more information which might help him understand how a Marathon man wound up with severe injuries after a fight this weekend.

28 year old Michael Pietsch is  being treated at the Ryder Trauma Center in Miami for injuries he suffered during the fight in the parking lot of the Brass Monkey bar early on Saturday.

Witnesses say they saw Pietsch in a confrontation with another man outside the  bar in Marathon. The other man then reportedly left in a white colored vehicle, possibly a sport utility vehicle, southbound on the highway leaving Pietsch lying in the parking lot, unconscious.

When deputies arrived shortly after 2 a.m., they found Pietsch still unresponsive. Paramedics transported him to Fishermen’s Hospital. He was reportedly suffering from multiple brain bleeds, broken bones in his face and a spine fracture. He was taken by ambulance to the Ryder Trauma Center in Miami where he was reported to be in critical but stable condition as of Sunday.

Anyone with information about this case should call Detective Weiner at 305-289-2410. Callers may also contact Crime Stoppers of the Florida Keys. Tipsters can remain anonymous and, if a tip leads to an arrest in the case, the caller would be eligible for a cash reward. The Crime Stoppers hot line number is 1-800-346-TIPS. Tips may also be submitted on line at

Deputies looking for suspect vehicles

Deputies are investigating a hit and run vehicle incident which took place Sunday afternoon. They are looking for anyone who knows anything about the two vehicles believed to be involved, and those who were driving them.

The incident took place at 3:30 p.m. in the parking lot of the Coral Lagoon Resort in Marathon. According to reports, a dark brown newer model four door vehicle – possibly a Mercedes or Lexus – pulled in to the lot followed by a silver or grey newer model sport utility vehicle, either a Mercedes, Jeep or Lexus.

The dark brown vehicle accelerated and struck a parked vehicle on the passenger side in the rear with its right front corner. The force of the impact spun the parked vehicle sideways across two parking spots.

The two vehicles then left the parking lot at a high rate of speed northbound on the highway. There were no reported injuries involved in the incident.

The brown four door vehicle will most likely have heavy front end damage. Anyone who has information about the case, should contact the Sheriff’s Office at 305-289-2351. Callers who wish to remain anonymous can call Crime Stoppers of the Florida Keys at 1-800-346-TIPS. If the information received leads to an arrest, the caller would be eligible for a cash reward. Tips may also be submitted on line at

September 14, 2014

Man injured in fight

A Marathon man is at Ryder Trauma Center being treated for injuries he suffered during a fight in the parking lot of a local bar.

Witnesses say they saw 28 year old Michael Pietsch in a fight with another man outside the Brass Monkey Bar in Marathon. The other man then left in a white colored vehicle, possibly a sport utility vehicle, southbound on the highway leaving Pietsch lying in the parking lot, unconscious.

When deputies arrived shortly after 2 a.m., they found Pietsch still unresponsive. Paramedics transported him to Fishermen’s Hospital. He was reportedly suffering from multiple brain bleeds, broken bones in his face and a spine fracture. He was taken by ambulance to the Ryder Trauma Center in Miami where he was reported to be in critical but stable condition as of Saturday.

Detectives will be investigating in an attempt to identify the other man involved in the fight.

Woman charged with hitting man with pool cue

A Key West woman was arrested Saturday in Marathon after hitting a man in the head with a pool cue.

45 year old Beverly Anderson, who lives on a boat offshore of Key West, was at the Brass Monkey bar at 2:45 p.m. with the victim, a 53 year old Key West man. The victim told deputies she swung a pool cue at him, hitting him on the head. The victim had a knot the size of a quarter above one eye.

A witness said he saw Anderson swing the pool cue at the victim and heard an impact which may have been the pool cue hitting the victim’s head.

Anderson was apprehended as she left the bar, walking across the highway toward Crane Point. She was arrested and charged with aggravated battery. The victim declined treatment of his injuries.

Man arrested for shooting car with pellet rifle

Deputies responded to reports of a man shooting a rifle at Smuggler’s Cove Marina in Islamorada late Saturday. They arrested a man for shooting a pellet rifle at an occupied vehicle.

At 10:30 p.m. Sheriff’s Office dispatchers received reports first of a man firing a rifle repeatedly at the marina and then of a man shooting a rifle at an occupied vehicle in the parking lot. When deputies arrived, they saw a man standing on a balcony. They ordered him to show them is hands, but he failed to comply, instead walking away. He returned a short time later, this time holding his hands up.

Deputies handcuffed him and then searched his room, which opened off the balcony. They found a pellet rifle and an open can of pellets. The television set in the room had a hole in the middle as if it had been shot by a pellet.

Deputies met with people who’d called to report the incident. They all said they heard multiple shots they thought were from a gun. One of them reported seeing 30 year old John Lear of Tavernier walking around carrying what appeared to be a .22 caliber rifle. One man reported he was in his truck in the parking lot of the marina and heard something that sounded like  bullet hit the truck. There was damage on the driver’s side of the truck.

Lear was charged with shooting a missile at an occupied vehicle. He was taken to jail.

September 12, 2014

Two charged with stealing aluminum shutters

Two Key Largo men were arrested Thursday, charged with stealing aluminum shutters from a home on Ocean Front Drive in Key Largo.

The owner of the shutters called the Sheriff’s Office at 6:50 p.m. after she returned home to find the two men on her property. She confronted them and they fled in a faded black truck with a red stripe on it. At the time she called, she was not aware they had taken anything.

Deputy Vaughn O’Keefe spotted the truck at the 101 mile marker northbound. As he pulled behind it, the truck turned in to Newport Village. Deputy O’Keefe stopped to talk with the two men inside, whom he identified as 20 year old Juan Cabrera and 25 year old Rafael Sanchez, both of Key Largo. As the deputy spoke with them, the two men appeared to be very nervous; they said they had stopped at the woman’s house by accident because they thought it was a house they were supposed to be working on. After documenting their identity, Deputy O’Keefe left Newport Village and went back to patrol duties.

About 20 minutes later, the woman who’d originally called the Sheriff’s Office called back and wanted to talk with a deputy. She had discovered doors open which she said she knew had been closed when she left her house; she also discovered some aluminum hurricane shutters missing, and others moved as if someone was getting ready to take them.

Detective Sgt. Mark Coleman responded to assist with the case. He went to Newport Village and recovered twelve aluminum shutters which belonged to the victim, along with one white accordion shutter also fitting the description of shutters owned by the victim. The suspects were asked about the shutters and both men admitted taking the shutters, which they said they were going to sell in Miami as scrap metal.

Both men were charged with burglary and grand theft and they were taken to jail.

September 10, 2014

Man charged with interference with custody

A 27 year old Key Largo man, an employee of the Florida Keys Children’s Shelter, is under arrest today charged with taking two teens who’d run away to a motel in Cutler Ridge.

Investigations into what the teens became involved in after Ricky Atkins took them to the motel are ongoing. The extent of his involvement with other crimes is also still under investigation.

After receiving the report, Detective Vince Weiner from the Sheriff’s Office Major Crimes Unit, worked with the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office Human Trafficking Task Force to investigate the allegations. The investigation is ongoing.

Atkins was booked into jail on Tuesday, charged with two counts of interference with custody – a third degree felony.

September 9, 2014

Two charged with robbery at gunpoint

Two people have been charged with robbery and one person is still at large in a confrontation between ex-roommates in Key Largo Monday night.

The confrontation between the ex-roommates took place just before 9 p.m. at 13-B Janet Place in Key Largo. A 17 year old Key Largo man was moving some of his things out of the apartment; his mother and grandmother were there helping him. His two ex-roommates showed up along with another man and an argument took place over the ownership of property.

During the argument, 25 year old Chavely Sanchez beat and kicked the mother. 26 year old Luis Armenteros then pointed a gun at the 17 year old while the third suspect known by the street name “Pudgy”  took a gold chain and gold bracelet from him. “Pudgy” then hit the mother in the head with a red and black baseball bat.

The three suspects left the scene in two different cars. The victims called the Sheriff’s Office for help, giving  a description of one of the cars – a white Ford Edge with silver rims which was seen heading northbound on U.S. One.

Deputy Kyle Page spotted the car near the 106 mile marker and pulled it over with Deputies John Shinkunas and Greg LaRochelle backing him up on the traffic stop. Troopers from the Florida Highway Patrol also assisted at the scene. Inside the car they found Sanchez driving and Armenteros in the passenger seat.

A loaded .45 caliber Glock handgun was located in the glove compartment. Chavely claimed ownership of the gun. A red and black baseball bat was found on the back seat. The key to a U-Haul trailer was also found in the car; the trailer had been rented by the victims to use in the move.

Sanchez and Armenteros were both arrested. Sanchez was charged with aggravated battery, grand theft and robbery. Armenteros was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon,  possession of a weapon by a convicted felon and robbery.

Detective Bob Dosh was assigned to investigate. He contacted Miami-Dade Police and asked for their assistance in locating the third suspect who faces similar charges.

The mother suffered a broken finger and wrist as well as a contusion on her. She refused transport to the hospital but was advised to go to Mariner’s Hospital for treatment of her injuries.

Clearwater woman dies diving

A 68 year old Clearwater, Florida woman died while diving offshore of the Lower Keys Monday.

Elizabeth Hoaglin was on a boat trip with friends, scuba diving and lobstering in about 10 feet of water Monday afternoon. The group was at Jewfish Channel when the incident took place. Her friends say they saw her struggling on the surface after only being underwater for a few minutes. They pulled her into the boat, began performing CPR and called the Coast Guard for assistance.

The Coast Guard responded and brought Hoaglin to shore where they were met by paramedics who transported her to Lower Keys Hospital. She was pronounced dead at the hospital at 1:30 p.m. An autopsy will be done to determine the cause of her death.

September 7, 2014

Florida City man charged with burglary

A Key Largo couple caught a Florida City man burglarizing their home Friday night.

The victims returned to their Musa Drive home at 9:40 p.m. and found the door forced open lights on inside. The male victim went inside and found 36 year old Sean Stacey in the process of burglarizing the home. He had removed a two flat screen televisions from the wall and placed them on the couch. He’d also eaten and drunk a number of items from the refrigerator. The victim managed to keep Stacey there until deputies arrived.

Deputies Angelina Lubin and Vaughn O’Keefe took Stacey into custody. He told Deputy Lubin he’d been “using crystal meth and drinking all day”. Stacey told the deputies “I feel like I’m gonna die” so he was taken to Mariner’s Hospital to be checked out and then he was taken to jail. He was charged with burglary, criminal mischief and grand theft.

September 4, 2014

Miami attempted murder suspect apprehended in the Keys

An man wanted for attempted murder and armed burglary in Hialeah was apprehended near Geiger Key as he hid in the engine compartment of a boat anchored offshore. He was allegedly planning to flee later today to Cuba to avoid arrest.

A notice to be on the lookout for 25 year old Ernesto Herrada Cordova was issued early this morning saying the suspect possibly had ties to the Florida Keys. The BOLO information indicated he was very aggressive and dangerous. Just before 11 a.m., information was received that he might be in the Lower Keys attempting flee to Cuba on a boat. The information indicated he might be on board a boat in the vicinity of the Shark Key boat ramp.

Detectives and deputies responded to the boat ramp. They were taken out to the vessel on board a Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission boat where they found the suspect hiding in the boat’s engine compartment. He was taken into custody at 12:30 p.m. without incident. He was not found to be armed at the time of his apprehension.

Assisting with the apprehension: Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Florida Highway Patrol, U.S. Coast Guard and Customs and Border Protection officers. The U.S. Marshals Service responded to serve the warrant and take him into custody. He has been returned to Hialeah to face the charges.

September 3, 2014

Detectives seeking information in Upper Keys abused dog case

A dog found bound with duct tape and sealed in a plastic bag belonged to someone and detectives want to know who it’s owner was. They would also like anyone who knows anything about the case to come forward. Crime Stoppers of the Florida Keys is offering a cash reward for information which leads to an arrest.

The dog was reportedly found by a passerby who saw movement in the black plastic bag, lying alongside Gun Club Road in Key Largo on July 22nd. 52 year old Daniel Rossler cut open the bag and found the red nose pit bull inside. The dog was reportedly bound by duct tape, but had managed to partially tear its way out of the bag. Animal control employees showed up at the scene and took the dog to their shelter for treatment. They discovered the dog had severe head wounds and possible internal injuries. They wound up having to euthanize the dog because its injuries were too severe and it was suffering.

“Someone has to know this dog and know who the owner of the dog is,” said Sheriff Rick Ramsay. “If you know, come forward. This is a horrendous case of animal cruelty and we want to find out who did this and bring them to justice,” he said.

Anyone who things they know anything about the dog, what happened to it, who the dog’s owner is or anything which might help solve the case should contact the Sheriff’s Office immediately at 305-853-3211. Callers may also contact Crime Stoppers of the Florida Keys. Tipsters can remain anonymous and, if a tip leads to an arrest in the case, the caller would be eligible for a cash reward. The Crime Stoppers hot line number is 1-800-346-TIPS. Tips may also be submitted on line at

Man arrested for hitting another man

A Stock Island man was arrested after a fight on Stock Island Tuesday night.

The victim told Deputy Wendy Negron that 29 year old Javiel Gonzalez attacked him. He said Gonzalez pulled up to his house on Maloney Avenue just before midnight. Gonzalez allegedly punched the victim in the face, knocking him to the ground. He then grabbed a wooden board and swung it at him. The victim was able to grab the board before he was struck with it. The victim’s 12 year old son called the Sheriff’s Office for help.

The victim told Deputy Negron Gonzalez is a friend of his tenant, who lived with her for a while; he said a couple of weeks ago, she told Gonzalez he had to move out. She told him he was causing too much trouble with her landlord.

Sgt. Evan Calhoun was able to call Gonzalez and arranged to meet with him at the Tom Thumb store on Big Pine Key. Gonzalez was taken into custody, charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, aggravated battery, battery and trespassing. The victim suffered minor injuries to his knee, his lip and one of his teeth was loose.

Marathon man charged with vessel burglary

A Marathon man was arrested Tuesday, charged with burglarizing a vessel at a Marathon marina.

Deputies responded to a call of a suspicious vehicle at the Driftwood Marina at 2:30 a.m. Tuesday. The manager of the marina gave a description of one of the vehicles – a white sedan with a loud exhaust which left the scene while she was calling. She said she did not at that time think a crime had been committed, but she wanted deputies to respond anyway. Deputy Tyler Blanton was on his way to the call when he located a similar vehicle on 107th Street. He wrote down the vehicle’s license tag number, but continued on to the marina to check out the report.

At 4 a.m., the marina manager called back to report something had been taken from a vessel. She had reviewed surveillance video which showed a man getting out of the white sedan, climbing on board the vessel and removing something from the rear. Further investigation revealed lines had been cut to a hydraulic pump on the vessel, which had then been stolen.

The white sedan with the same license tag number noted by Deputy Blanton earlier was located at 240 Sombrero Beach Road. The registered owner of the car, 20 year old Michael Mojica, was found at his apartment. When deputies confronted him with the information they had from the video, he admitted to taking the pump. He turned it over to the officers who then took him into custody. Mojica was charged with burglary, grand theft and criminal mischief and he was booked into jail.

September 2, 2014

Georgia man dies while diving

A 59 year old man from Tifton, Georgia died while diving offshore of the Spanish Harbor Bridge Monday.

Larry Rowan was on a private vessel with his brother-in-law and a friend. They reportedly visit the Keys regularly to dive for lobster.

The three went into the water about 1:30 p.m. Monday and separated, all going their own way. At about 3:15 p.m. the other two divers returned to the boat assuming Rowan had already returned.

They found no evidence he had returned, either to drop off lobster or to retrieve another dive tank. After looking for him for a short time, they called the Coast Guard for assistance. The Coast Guard searched by air and the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission searched by boat. At about 4:30 p.m. his body was found.

Rowan still had all his dive gear on, and there was no sign of injury on his body. An autopsy will be done to determine the cause of his death.

September 1, 2014

Woman charged with violent fight with officer

A 33 year old Tavernier woman was arrested after she fought violently with an officer trying to arrest her for disorderly intoxication.

Deputy Michael Claudy was at the Circle K convenience store at the 92 mile marker at 3 a.m. today when he saw two women in a confrontation in the parking lot. He separated the two in an attempt to avoid an escalation. 33 year old Sara Henderson, who was obviously intoxicated, refused to calm down, however and continued to yell loudly and attempt to attack the other woman who told the officer she was just trying to calm Henderson when the altercation took place.

Deputy Claudy warned her numerous times to stop yelling or he would arrest her for disorderly intoxication. She then began to yell at both the other woman and Deputy Claudy.

Deputy Claudy finally told her she was under arrest and attempted to place her in handcuffs. She pulled away and began to fight, knocking Deputy Claudy’s radio microphone off of his shirt so he could not call for back up officers to assist. She began kicking him violently as he tried to reach his microphone to call for help. He used his pepper spray, spraying her in the face. As he again tried to reach for his microphone, she rubbed her hands on her face and then rubbed pepper spray on Deputy Claudy’s face thus impeding his ability to see well.

He was finally able to reach his microphone and call for help. He managed to hold her on the ground until backup officers arrived. She was taken into custody without further incident.

The other woman on the scene attempted to assist the officer during his struggle, and helped him to rinse the pepper spray from his eyes afterward.

At Mariner’s Hospital, Henderson told the emergency room staff that she purposefully rubbed the pepper spray into the deputy’s eyes. Deputy Claudy did sustain an injury to one eye which will require follow up treatment.

Henderson was charged with disorderly intoxication, battery on a law enforcement officer, depriving an officer of his means of communication and resisting arrest with violence. She was booked into jail.

Accident leads to auto theft, other charges

The suspect in a reckless driving report was arrested after he crashed the stolen vehicle he was driving into a boat on Stock Island.

24 year old Daryl Burgess of Stock Island now faces charges by the Sheriff’s Office and Key West Police.

On August 30th at 5:37 a.m., dispatchers received a report of a white Jeep Cherokee driving on Maloney Avenue swerving, with no headlights on. Deputy John Gabay was in the vicinity and spotted the vehicle exiting Ocean Spray Trailer Park. He pulled up next to the Jeep and shined his spotlight inside. The white male driver looked at the deputy, then took off, heading back up Maloney Avenue toward the highway.

Deputy Gabay turned on his lights and siren in an attempt to stop the Jeep, which sped up and made a left on 4th Avenue. It swerved several times, then swerved again to avoid a collision with a garbage truck. The Jeep then lost control, running across lanes of traffic and hitting a boat parked on a trailer beside the road.

Burgess was injured in the accident and was taken to the hospital. A check on the vehicle’s license tag revealed the vehicle did not belong to Burgess. In addition, Burgess’ license had been suspended in 2006 for a DUI arrest.

Deputy Matt Dowling responded to the hospital to continue an investigation there. He searched Burgess’ pockets to make sure he had no weapons he could injure anyone with. In his pockets Burgess had a camera, a pink Ipod and an insurance card not in his name. The insurance card belonged to a woman who lives on Fogarty Avenue in the city of Key West.

Deputy Dowling later met with Key West Police at the Fogarty Avenue address. KWPD investigations reportedly revealed the camera and Ipod were stolen from a Honda Accord parked at that address.

Burgess was airlifted to a Miami hospital the night of the accident  for treatment of possible internal injuries, but was released from the hospital the next day. He was charged by the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office with reckless driving with damage to property, fleeing and eluding police and with driving with his license suspended. He also faces multiple charges by Key West Police.

Please contact that agency for details of their case.

Last of three home invasion robbery suspects arrested

The last of three suspects in a home invasion robbery on Grassy Key in May was picked up in Kansas City, Missouri on August 11th.  24 year old Joseph Van Buren of Big Pine Key was returned to the Florida Keys on August 30th were he faces charges of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, use of a weapon in commission of a felony, improper exhibition of a firearm, discharging a firearm in public, criminal mischief, home invasion robbery and tampering with evidence.

The other two men charged in connection with the crime were arrested earlier in August: 22 year old Russell Kane of Little Torch Key and 24 year old Matthew Storm of Marathon.

The drug related crime took place on May 27th in the early morning hours. All three suspects were armed with handguns. During the robbery, one man was shot in the leg, and more shots were fired in and around the house where the crime took place. The suspects stolen heroin and cocaine from the house. The victim of the robbery, 40 year old Robert Moir, was arrested August 4th on heroin and cocaine related charges after an undercover drug surveillance operation led to a search warrant on his residence.