Monroe County Sheriff’s Office
Daily Crime and Information Report

Issued by the Media Relations Office,
Public Information Officer Deputy Becky Herrin

Click on the headline to hear an audio recording of the story

August 18, 2004

Woman robbed by man she thought was police

Monroe County - A Key Largo woman was robbed after she pulled over for to the side of the road for someone she thought was a police officer.

The victim told Deputy Bryan Cross she was on her way to Florida City on Card Sound Road at 10:30 p.m. when a car with bright headlights appeared behind her. She said the driver shined a spotlight in her rear window and she thought it was a police officer pulling her over for speeding. She pulled to the side of the road. A man with a flashlight walked up to her window, shined the light in her eyes so she couldn't see him very well, and asked for her driver's license and registration. When she took out her wallet, he grabbed it and ran back to his car. He pulled out quickly and turned around, heading back toward Key Largo.

The victim realized she'd been robbed and looked outside her car. Her wallet was on the side of the road. Cash and a credit card had been taken out of it before it was discarded.

The victim described her attacker as a dark skinned Latin or Black male with a Spanish accent; he had a thin build and was approximately 5' 8" to 6 feet tall; he was clean-shaven and was wearing a black t-shirt with a white oval shaped emblem on the left chest area along with camouflage colored pants and a black belt. The pants were tucked into black boots. He may have been driving a Ford Crown Victoria with a driver's side spotlight.

Anyone with information about this case can call the Sheriff's Office. Callers who wish to remain anonymous can call Crime Stoppers of the Florida Keys. If the information leads to an arrest, the caller would be eligible for a cash reward. The Crime Stoppers hot line number is 1-800-346-TIPS.

August 17, 2004

Grand theft auto arrest

Sheriff’s deputies arrested a Miami man and recovered a stolen automobile Monday afternoon in Marathon. Deputy Wilfredo Guerra was patrolling the 63rd Street area of Marathon when he noticed the driver of a white Ford automobile making an abrupt turn into a parking space at a convenience store. Deputy Guerra said the driver got of the vehicle and sat down on the curb. Deputy Guerra ran a computer check of the automobile’s license number. The computer check showed that the vehicle had been stolen from the Homestead Florida area. After confirming the report with Homestead police, Deputy Guerra arrested the driver of the stolen car. 25-year old Sadig Husseain was booked into the Marathon jail on charges of grand theft of a motor vehicle.

Bike stop leads to drug arrest

A routine traffic stop of a bicycle rider on 39th Street in Marathon early Monday led to a drug arrest. Sheriff’s deputies stopped 24-year old Jose Julian Lami, of Marathon, because he was riding his bike in the dark without lights. Deputies observed Lami drop a small chunk of a white-colored substance on the ground and then step on the white chunk. Deputies ordered Lami to move away from the suspicious object. Deputies retrieved the white chunk, which tested positive for cocaine. Deputies arrested Lami for possession of a controlled substance and booked him into the jail at Marathon.

More Cuban refugees

Sheriff Deputies were called to the Coco Plum Drive area of Marathon early today where seven Cuban refugees reportedly came ashore. The refugees, six males and one female, were turned over to custody of Border Patrol officers. A 12-foot homemade vessel was reportedly found in the area.

August 16, 2004

Man stabbed on Cudjoe Key

Cudjoe Key - Two Miami men in the Keys to help relatives prepare for Hurricane Charley Friday got into an argument. One stabbed the other in the stomach and was taken into custody for aggravated battery.

The two men and a woman drove to Stock Island from Miami to help a relative prepare for the storm. They were driving back Friday morning when they began to argue. The driver, 51 year old Jorge Gonzalez, pulled out a knife and stabbed 27 year old Jody Hough, in the stomach. He then left Hough and the woman on Cudjoe Key, driving his truck northbound.

The victim and witness called the Sheriff's Office for help. Rescue personnel were dispatched to assist with the injured man and a notice to be on the lookout for the suspect driving a black Chevrolet pickup truck was put out over Sheriff's Office radios. The truck was stopped at the north end of the Seven Mile Bridge by the Sheriff's Office and officers from the Fish and Wildlife Commission. Gonzalez was arrested and charged with aggravated battery. The victim was treated at the hospital and released.

Man tied up, robbed in Marathon

Marathon - A Marathon man was tied up and robbed in the parking lot of a Marathon business in the early morning hours Sunday.

The victim told Deputy Robin Tanner he was driving a Keynoter van from Key West to Marathon and pulled into the parking lot of the newspaper at 5:15 a.m. He said he walked from the van to his personal vehicle and opened the door. At that point, a man approached him with what looked like a gun underneath his shirt. The man said "give me what you've got". He told the victim to turn around and face his vehicle. He then put flex ties around the victim's ankles and wrists and took cash from his pants pocket. The suspect then pushed the victim face down on the front seat and left the area.

The victim managed to get his cell phone out of his pocket and he called for help. He described his attacker as a Hispanic male, between 20 and 25 years old; he was approximately 5' 7" tall and 160 pounds with black hair cut in a crew cut and a goatee. He wore a black T-shirt and black pants.  Detectives are investigating.

Anyone with information about this case can call the Sheriff's Office. Callers who wish to remain anonymous can call Crime Stoppers of the Florida Keys. If the information leads to an arrest, the caller would be eligible for a cash reward. The Crime Stoppers hot line number is 1-800-346-TIPS.

Bird missing from Theater of the Sea

Islamorada - Employees  of Theater of the Sea in Islamorada found a large Macaw missing from it's cage Friday morning. In it's place was a note apparently written by the person who stole the bird.

The large Yellow Collared Macaw named "Sabrina" was missing from her cage when the employee stopped by to check on her and other birds at 9:30 a.m. Friday. The door to the building was ajar, as was the door to the bird's cage. On the floor of the cage was a note that said the bird was taken because the suspect didn't like the way the business treats it's animals. Several other birds located in the same building appeared to be untouched.

Detectives are investigating. Anyone with information about this case can call the Sheriff's Office. Callers who wish to remain anonymous can call Crime Stoppers of the Florida Keys. If the information leads to an arrest, the caller would be eligible for a cash reward. The Crime Stoppers hot line number is 1-800-346-TIPS.

August 5, 2004

Nose gear collapses on plane at Key West Airport

Key West - The nose gear of a plane operated by Cape Air collapsed Wednesday night. No one on board was injured, but the airport runway was closed for almost two hours.

The plane, a Cessna seating up to 9 people, landed just after 9:30 p.m. Upon landing, the nose gear reportedly collapsed. Seven people on board and the pilot were all removed safely from the aircraft and no injuries were reported at the time of the incident. The airport runway was closed until the plane could be removed. After the runway was inspected for damage, it was reopened for air traffic at 11:15 p.m.

August 4, 2004

Naked man flees from deputies on Cudjoe Key

Cudjoe Key - A naked man fled from deputies on Cudjoe Key Tuesday afternoon. At the time deputies were attempting to arrest him on an outstanding felony warrant.

The pursuit began at a home on 4th Avenue, Cudjoe Key. Detective Jeremy Davy received information 28 year old Raymond Martinez was at the residence and he went there with other officers to take him into custody. The owner of the house admitted that Martinez was there and allowed the officers access to the house. They searched for Martinez, finally finding him hiding behind a door. Martinez ran across the room and jumped through a glass window to escape. Detectives Davy and Manuel Cuervo caught him as he broke through the window. Detective Cuervo had him by the foot, and Detective Davy was holding him by his shorts. As Martinez struggled, first his shoe and then his shorts came off and he fell the rest of the way out the window. As he ran from the house, he discarded his last piece of clothing - his shirt.

He fled naked from the house, jumping into a canal as deputies and detectives pursued. They chased him through several more canals. He was found once hiding in a boat, but ran from there when deputies approached. The Sheriff's Office Knight Star helicopter arrived to assist in locating the fleeing man. According to Detective Davy's report, neighbors in the area came out of their houses and began helping deputies by giving progress reports on Martinez' location. Detective Davy finally convinced Martinez, as a helicopter hovered overhead, that he was not going to get away. Martinez surrendered and was taken into custody, charged with violation of probation.

August 2, 2004

Grassy Key man arrested after he ran over his wife with a car

Grassy Key - A Grassy Key man was arrested Sunday evening, charged with running over his wife with his car Sunday evening, then leaving the scene of the accident.

57 year old Ronald Christison told Deputy Sheila Swindle he was leaving their home on Morton Street at 8:30 p.m. after having an argument with his wife. He said he was going to go to work for a while and let her "cool off". He said he backed the car up to leave and was not aware that he ran her over with the car.

Dispatchers received a call from the property owner who said one of his tenants was laying in the driveway screaming and crying. He said she told him her husband had run her over. A short time later deputies and rescue workers arrived on the scene. They found the victim still on the ground. She had visible tire tracks across her shirt. Christison was called on his cell phone and was advised to return to the house. He was arrested and charged with leaving the scene of an accident with injuries and he was booked into the Monroe County Detention Center.

The victim was taken to Fishermen's Hospital in Marathon. She was later transferred by ambulance to a Miami Trauma Center for treatment of her injuries.

Suicidal man taken into custody after a 5 hour standoff

Stock Island - A Stock Island man threatening to kill himself with a knife was taken into custody at 12:30 a.m. today after a five and a half hour standoff with law enforcement officers.

Dispatchers received a call from 39 year old Robert Isherwood's wife at 7 p.m. Sunday. She said her husband was stabbing himself with a knife, threatening to kill himself. She said she had already taken one knife away from him. She said he was armed with three large knives and had shut himself into a back room of their trailer at the Sunset Harbor Trailer Park.

Deputies, along with Key West Police Officers, arrived on the scene. The wife was safely removed from the trailer. Hostage Negotiator Sgt. Bobby Randolph was called out  to try and talk Isherwood out of the trailer. The Sheriff's Office Special Weapons and Tactics team was called out in case Isherwood needed to be removed from the trailer by force.

Dialogue between Isherwood and Randolph continued throughout the night. During the standoff, Isherwood was seen ingesting several different types of chemicals and and reportedly tried to electrocute himself by sticking a knife in an electrical socket. On two occasions, Isherwood made direct threatening moves toward the negotiator with the knives. He was verbally ordered to drop the knives, but he refused. On one of those occasions he finally backed off after a SWAT team member targeted him with his gun; on the other occasion, another SWAT team member had to shoot at Isherwood with a less than lethal bean bag round, hitting him on the hand and forcing him to retreat.

Finally, at 12:30 a.m., Isherwood surrendered himself peacefully. He was taken to Lower Keys Hospital for treatment of his self inflicted injuries. He was then booked into the Monroe County Detention Center, charged with aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer. He was also charged with violating a court ordered injunction against having contact with his wife. The injunction was issued after a domestic dispute incident that occurred July 29th. Isherwood was arrested on that occasion for domestic battery.