Click here for more photos of the Traffic Enforcement Unit
For telephone traffic reports, dial FDOT's 511 Traffic Center.
Call 511 toll free from any phone, then dial 14# for reports on U.S. One in
For information about traffic school, or about how to pay a traffic ticket, visit the Monroe County Clerk of the Court's web site at http://www.monroe.fl.us.landata.com/default.asp.
About the Traffic Enforcement Unit
primary duty of the Monroe County Sheriff’s
Office Traffic Enforcement Unit is to enforce the traffic laws of the State
of Florida and all Monroe County ordinances pertaining to traffic enforcement.
The reason for this
enforcement is to ensure that everyone traveling on the
roadways of Monroe County stay as safe and secure as possible.
Because Monroe County is primarily served by a single highway into and out of the county, these duties are particularly crucial. Traffic accidents and other traffic issues frequently interrupt the flow of traffic into and out of the Florida Keys and it is this unit's duty to see that such interruptions happen as infrequently as possible.
highly specialized unit performs an important function within the Sheriff’s
Office by supporting the entire County. Traffic enforcement deputies assist with all traffic related
matters, thus freeing up road patrol officers and allowing them to apply
their time to more immediate patrol duties.
you have a traffic
complaint in your neighborhood or a question regarding Florida Traffic Statutes
or the Enforcement of Florida’s Traffic Laws in Monroe County please call the
Monroe County Sheriff’s
Traffic Enforcement Unit at (305) 289-2430 or send e-mail to Traffic
Enforcement Sgt. Kevin Mimosa.
The Traffic Enforcement Unit is currently staffed by:
- One Sergeant
- Four Motorcycle Units
- Three Aggresive Driving Units
- Two DUI Enforcement Units
- All Deputies assigned to the Traffic Unit are certified in Radar and Laser operation.
- All are certified by FDLE as Intoxilizer 8000 Operators.
- Three are currently certified by FDLE as Intoxilizer 8000 Agency Inspector Technicians.
- All Deputies are certified Operators of the Intoxilizer 400 PBT (Personal Breath Test Devices) used in Under-aged Alcohol Enforcement of the Florida .02 BAC Rule.
- All Deputies are consistently sent to Institute for Police Technology and Management (IPTM) for current updated DUI Enforcement training.
- Two DUI Deputies are certified as DREs (Drug Recognition Expert).
- All are certified Traffic Homicide Investigators.
- The four Motorcycle Deputies are certified by IPTM as Police Motorcycle Operators.
The Traffic Enforcement Unit currently maintains the following equipment:
- Nine Traffic Patrol Vehicles equipped with Stalker Dual 2X radar units
- Three of the nine vehicles are 2008 Unmarked Dodge Chargers for Aggressive Driving
- Nine of the Patrol Units are also equipped with Watch Guard Digital DVD Traffic cameras
- Four 2006 BMW 1200 RT-P Motorcycles equipped with Stalker Dual 2X radar units
- One Motorcycle Transport and Recovery Trailer
- Nine Hand-held Kustom Pro-Lite Laser Units
- Four Intoxilizer 8000 Breath Testing Devices
- Four Intoxilizer 400 Personal Breath Testing Devices
- One SMART Radar Trailer for Community Traffic Complaints and Surveys
- Access to four additional SMART Radar Trailers and four Signboards currently assigned to Sectors
Links and Informative Brochures
- National Highway and Traffic Safety: For more information, including traffic safety tips and injury statistics, visit the National Highway Transportation Administration's web site at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/.
- Play it Safe! - Download a children's Activity Book about Traffic Safety (PDF)
- Safety Belts and Pregnancy - Download a brochure about this important topic (PDF)